What Pirates and Gangsta Rappers Have in Common:
Pirates and Gansta Rappers Have the Following in Common:
As a student of both Black Studies & Rap Culture, and Pirate Culture, I have conducted in depth studies of these two groups. The results of this research have led me to compile a list of commonalities between these two groups, which can be found below.
- Fixation on gold and jewelry
- Injuries and harm to one's body sustained in conflict translate directly into status.
- Strong aversion to the authorities.
- Love of booty
- Song and lyric that glorify past exploits.
- Use of the word "yo!" (as in 'yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum' and 'yo whaddup?')
- Insistence on use of nickname and aliases.
- Healthy affinity for eye-patches
- Intense interest in boats
- High tolerance for promiscuous women.
- Healthy respect for individuals wielding hooks in lieu of hand
- Love of drink, especially rum (with or without the accompaniment of coke)
- Always travel with a crew.
Baker’s Dozen is a list of a dozen things on a given topic. Each edition of the Baker’s Dozen is dedicated to an individual by the name of Baker.
This Week's Baker
Mr. Houston Baker, Jr. is a professor of Black Studies and author of Black Studies, Rap, and the Academy.
Happy Thanksgiving Turkey Maze
November 22, 2012
Baby hanging Station
August 4, 2012
Justin Bieber Should Be Your Attourney
May 10, 2012
420 Designs or h2o Designs
March 31, 2012
Book Review: I Hate You, Kelly Donahue
February 11, 2012
Advice for Rich Brazilians
December 17, 2011
October 26, 2011
Book Review: When Parents Text: So Much Said, So Little Understood
September 2, 2011
Book Review: The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
June 25, 2011
Obama V Osama
May 16, 2011
May 11, 2011
Pink Bullets by the Shins
April 12, 2011